Project Henry Avocado
Henry Avocado Corporation is a year-round marketer and distributor of custom-ripened, fresh, conventional and organic avocados sourced from California, Mexico, Peru and Chile. The Escondido, CA-based company wanted to expand its East Coast operations and chose Charlotte, NC as the site for a new cold storage distribution center. A M King constructed the facility inside of an existing 25,000-square-foot warehouse, which provides 55-60-degree temperatures at the dock and aisles; 40-degree cold storage spaces; and forced-air rooms, which have the ability to switch between 40 and 70 degrees. The facility design also incorporates several energy-saving components such as variable frequency drives, dock seals and energy guards, LED lighting and motion sensors.
- Thinner polyurethane metal panels in lieu of polystyrene increased the amount of usable space for the client while achieving the desired R-value.
- Complete fire protection system per NFPA13 for the cold storage environment that included dry pendant heads in areas that presented a potential freeze concern.
- Refrigeration system design allows for future expansion that includes a compressor rack and condenser, refrigeration pipe sizes, electrical panels and load calculations, and isolation valves at expansion points.
- Angle iron wall protection was poured with concrete to reduce dirt traps and increase facility sanitation.
- Conduit penetrations through the IMP walls and ceilings were properly sealed after wire was pulled to create a thermal break and eliminate condensation inside of pipes.
- Coordination with the Owner’s specified refrigeration control panels and temperature settings were critical to ensure proper functionality of the facility and the ability for the Owner to maintain quality assurance and control of the ripening process.