Project D1 Sports and Panorama Orthopedics
National developers, The Keith Corporation and Sports Med Properties, set out to create a revolutionary space in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, that combined state-of-the-art medical facilities and world-class athletic spaces. The occupants, D1 Sports Training and Panorama Orthopedics & Spine Center, required areas for athletic training and physical therapy services. Working with the developers and occupants, A M King designed and built a facility which includes a 4,200-square-foot physical therapy space; a 11,000-square-foot combined exercise, field training and locker room space; a 6,500-square-foot basketball court; and a 12,000-square-foot medical office building. The structure, which maintains the scale of a typical medical office building, incorporates a 30-foot-tall conventional steel frame with brick veneer exterior, sectional glass doors to create an open-air training environment, a mezzanine with storefront exterior and large windows to take advantage of Rocky Mountain views.
- Installation of a complete foundation drainage system including pit, sump pump and discharge piping to prevent water infiltration into the lower level.
- Complete domestic water piping including conformance to Highlands Ranch Metro District requirements for water entry and meter reading room.
- Installation of roof drains and interior storm piping to allow for concealed drainage aspects as requested by Highlands Ranch Metro District.
- Complete fire protection system per NFPA13 with isolation valves and flow valves at tenant demising locations.
- Installation of all chiller and chiller support piping as required for the MRI equipment, including cryogen vent installations.
- Installation of complicated line and low voltage electrical installations for MRI and X-ray controls and occupancy indicators for staff and patient safety.
- Detailed mechanical installations for the MRI suite including adding a humidifier dedicated to the MRI suite to assure correct percentage of humidity was achieved at the MRI magnet location. The installation of the humidifier including complex sensors and indication controls for achieving the optimum humidity.
- Installation of an evaporative cooling system in the training areas to achieve optimum air temperature while saving operating and installation costs.